So, that's when I finally checked. I pulled over, got out and leaned under the front of the car to see where the dribble was coming from. It was immediately obvious.. its dribbling so fast there's already little red puddle under the car. Diagnostic complete, its hemmoraging ATF and there's no way it'll make it home at that rate. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure it'll make it back to the lot at work where I can conveniently park it until I can trailer it home. See the nice ugly ATF trail it left all over the parking lot at work after I got it back there?
I decided to splice the line with some transmission cooler hose and hose clamps. First step, get access to the damaged section. I need to disconnect the rubber line so I can get a tubing cutter around the damaged section of the line. Two wrenches prevents any risk of the rubber line being twisted. The metal line needs a 17mm wrench, the nut on the rubber line needs something slightly bigger, probabyly an 18mm. The oil pan bolt also needs to come out to get the bracket off. That takes a 5mm allen wrench or bit.
Here's the bracket I came up with. I made it from some 0.064 inch sheet aluminium I had lying around. One hole along one edge for the oil pan bolt, with that edge beveled away from it for clearance of the nearby oil pan bolts and to keep it from rubbing on anything. Four holes on the other edge for some zip ties that go around the splice. Long enough so the zip ties fasten to the splice where there is metal line inside it. I'd like to use something better than zip ties, but I couldn't come up with anything I liked -- small wire might cut into the cooler hose and large wire might be too stiff for me to secure tightly enough around the splice. I'll just have to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get brittle and break.
Root Cause Analysis